Translate

Saturday 20 July 2019

15mm WW2 US trucks

I needed some softskin transport for my US infantry, so when I saw these as a pack of four from Forged in Battle at the Phalanx show last month I thought, they will do the job fine.

I painted them in Vallejo brown violet, with khaki tilts and black grey tyres and .50 cal MGs.  Cab gunners are in Russian uniform with brown violet helmets.  I'm not sure the .50 cals were standard WW2 issue, perhaps more for Korea or even Vietnam?


More detail of one of the trucks.  Allied star decal is from Skytrex, vehicle numbers and unit markings are I-94 from Pendraken.  Dust effects are a simple dry brush in Iraqi sand.


Various angles on the individual models.


I used a diluted Agrax Earthshade wash to bring out some of the details.


Unit markings on front and rear.  Allied stars and vehicle ID on bonnet or hood as they would say in America.


So, when I need to rush some infantry reinforcements to the front, these guys should do the job.  They'll need to keep well out of the way of indirect fire and line of sight from just about anything in range.



Thanks for looking.

5 comments:

  1. I've used my WW2 US trucks for Vietnam, perhaps we should try Battlegroup Hue sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't take much tweaking from the core rules. The M79 might need a bit of thinking out, but most other weapon systems used in country wouldn't be that different. Presumably LAWs would work like the Panzerfaust. Maybe some tweaks for Napalm? I've got a load (at least a couple of platoons) of SHQ US infantry for Vietnam.

      Delete
  2. I can't claim to be particularly taken with softskin transports, but I must say that you have made those look quite amazing, great paintjobs, Andy!

    And yes, please do go down the 'Battlegroup Hue' road!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. Softskins - sometimes a necessary evil to get the troops on the board quickly, but I'm never happy until they disembark. Always at the bottom of the pile too, as they are pretty much the same price as an armoured vehicle, which is generally much more fun.

      I'm just reading Max Hastings book on Vietnam, which is quite fascinating, got to the section covering Tet, so should be quite relevant.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    2. Andy,

      I'm with ya on the softskins. And I just so happen to be reading Bowden's "Hue" right now. For me it's not nearly as good as "Blackhawk Down," (at least not yet, and I'm a little over halfway through), but still plenty of scenario fodder and it's inspiring me to dive in, trying to resist.

      V/R,
      Jack


      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete