Translate

Saturday 13 March 2021

20mm German Wirbelwind and Pz IV

The Italeri Wirbelwind that I built over the Christmas break, painted up using one of the schemes suggested with the kit for a unit in Germany in 1945.  A lovely kit, but I'm going to struggle to get crewmen to fit without a lot of cutting down.


Decals all came with the kit.  Vehicle is painted in middlestone mixed with pale sand, then brown stripes added based on armor brown mixed with German camo mid-brown, with central stripes overpainted in German Late WW2 field grey with some reflective green added.  The whole vehicle is washed in Agrax Earthshade and dry brushed Iraqi sand.




The Italeri kit also includes a full turret for a standard Pz IV, which was handy as I needed a mantlet and gun barrel for a Pz IV I bought from Paul at the club a couple of years ago now.  I liked Pauls scheme on the tank overall, so tried to match mine in, although I think the base colour was too yellow, should have used more sand! 



So, quite pleased with the result and its always nice to get a "twofer" out of one kit.

Thanks for looking.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The Armour Brown you used, is that the Model Air one?

      Delete
    2. Yup, model air. It seems too red to me though, so I add some German camo mid brown to take out some of the red.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Andy, and I've always had a soft spot for the Panzer IVG.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack.

      Pz IVs certainly bore the main burden for the Wehrmact at the end of the war and appear to have been identified as Tigers much more than might be expected during combat. They certainly hold their own versus Shermans on the tabletop.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete