Translate

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Blackburn Buccaneer

These are Scotia Blackburn Buccaneers (CABM08).  Nice clean models with little flash or mold lines.  For some reason they have a quite large metal block on the nose (?mold feeder duct), which took some filing to remove, but after that there was very little else to do.

 This one I painted in the Fleet Air Arm colours of the 60's and 70's.
This one is painted in the RAF wrap around scheme of the 70's and 80's.

The pair.  I really love this aircraft.  It used to terrify me as a boy at air shows, the noise from a fast flypast was simply out of this world!  High speed subsonic (Mach 0.85 at 200ft according to Google), nuclear capable, maritime strike and ground attack, could operate from airfields or carriers, what more could you ask.

2 comments:

  1. Supersonic?! Not so far as I know. High subsonic certainly, but the supersonic version which was planned never made it off the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers meeware, I've adjusted the page accordingly. I thought the Buccaneer had broken the sound barrier, but I must have got that wrong. Unless it broke the sound barrier in a dive, as that was a common enough technique in the 50's and 60's to claim an aircraft was supersonic. I remember my Dad talking to me about sonic booms whenever we saw the Buccaneer at airshows - perhaps he was taken in my cold war propaganda at the time. Still a fantastic aircraft.

    ReplyDelete