Translate

Friday 25 March 2016

20mm Command Post

I wanted a bunker position to provide a firebase to cover a roadside checkpoint for a Winter of 79 game.  Fortunately, Ironclad Miniatures attended the WMMS show in Wolverhampton a couple of weeks back and I saw this in their catalogue - perfect.  As it comes from their Vietnam Firebase range, I figured it can dual purpose for my US and ANZAC forces in that conflict too.

The sand bags are Russian Green dry brushed grey green, while wooden parts were English Uniform dry brushed light brown.  The model is stuck to a 10cm square mdf base built up with resin filler to level off the surrounding land surface, covered in PVA glue and sprinkled with sand.  Static grass and straw and dead grass clumps were added for variety.

Front view.


Rear view.  I added some wooden packing crates, metal ammo crates and an oil drum to give it a lived in look and some discarded magazines around the parapet - all bits from Sgts Mess.



The roof is detachable and this view shows that four figures based on 20mm squares comfortably fit into the bunker.  Figures are Winter of 79 militia/revolutionaries, and will form the subject of a later post.



The view from an attackers perspective.



This was a great little casting.  Almost no preparation needed - I did give it a wash in warm water and detergent.  Paint coverage on the resin was great and the whole thing took a hour or so, excluding drying times, to complete.

Thanks for looking.

5 comments:

  1. Looking good Andy, certainly a great objective area to fight over, and I like that the roof is removable. I wish I could make myself spend more time on terrain items like this, it really adds a lot to the table. I just keep adding more troops; of course, you seem to do well in that regard too.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. Been busy the last few weeks putting together some Cold War Brits for next weekend. We have a big gaming weekend in early April every year, set in the fictional Black Sea country of Andreivia. I plan to take lots of pictures!

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    2. Sounds great Andy, I can't wait to see the batrep.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Andy, that's great and exactly what I'd been trying to summon up the energy to build for the gateway of the Dvimin Military Academy! Any chance you could bring it along to Dungworth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard

      Yes, I'll add it to the pile. I thought it might come in handy.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete