Translate

Sunday 28 April 2019

20mm WW2 British paratroopers

Another force for Battlegroup games, this time a British paratroop platoon with supports.  Figures are all from Britannia/Grubby, as is the 6pdr AT gun.  The 17pdr is from EWM and the 2 75mms are from the Airfix Willys jeep kit.

The core platoon, three rifle sections (front left, rear left and right), each 10 men plus a Bren - although two sections have an extra Bren.  There is also a command section of 5 men (front right), with a 2 man 2" mortar team and a 2 man PIAT team.


The platoon commander with his section and a 2" mortar team.


10 man rifle section.


The whole platoon.


Some additional supports, a 3 man Vickers MMG team and another 2 man PIAT team.  There's also a solitary figure with a flamethrower - I will add a pioneer section when I get some more suitable figures.


Something a bit more capable, a 6pdr AT gun with three crew.



And a real heavy hitter, a 17pdr AT gun with three crew.



The overall CO, a three man FHQ group.


Some artillery support in the form of a pair of 75mm pack howitzers, each with three crew.  I modelled the crewmen separately for these as, if I decide to use the 75s as off table, I can use the crew as loader teams for the on-table AT guns.


So, around 600-650 points of British paratroopers.  I plan to add an engineer section and a 3" mortar team when I get the chance.  I also have a bunch of old Escii plastic figures, so I might try out some and see if they compare well - if so I may add another platoon.  Then I need transport jeeps for the 75s and 6pdr and a cut down Morris for the 17pdr tow.  The FHQ will need a jeep for transport and I could do with a couple of recce jeeps too - so I guess I will soon be working on jeeps as well.

As ever, thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Andy. I like the old Britannia miniatures, they have lots of character.
    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, me too. I remember being really envious of some of the old game reports from the 80's and 90's that used them. Still think they look good today, not quite up to AB, Wartime, Adler etc., but still looking good.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete