Translate

Saturday 25 July 2020

20mm DAK assault engineer platoon

Having rediscovered my stash of unpainted plastic DAK infantry, I decided to do a dedicated platoon of assault engineers.  The platoon comprises three rifle sections, three MG34 teams and a command team of 6 including the CO.  There is also an integral flamethrower team of two men.  I also did another 2 man flamethrower team in case I needed an optional extra weapon, plus a two man mine detector team.


Figures are a mix of Airfix, Esci, Italeri, Caesar and Revell (both DAK and Pioneer sets).

One of the flamethrower teams.


Mine clearance team.


The other flamethrower team.


Command team.


CO with pistol.


Senior NCO.


1st rifle section.


1st MG34 team.


2nd rifle section.


2nd MG34 team.


3rd rifle section.


3rd MG34 team.


I also had one of the Airfix Opel Blitz truck and PAK 40 AT gun sets in the stash, so painted this up for the later campaigns in North Africa.  I need to add some decals to the truck.




I bought a seconds EWM kubelwagen at the Vapnartak show last year and crewed it with AB Miniatures DAK driver and passengers - lovely figures that paint up well.  The kubelwagen took a bit of TLC to repair as it was a miscast, but has come up well, albeit with no frills.



I think I've reached the point where I can't usefully use any more DAK infantry, although I still have enough for another couple of platoons.  I do need to add another British platoon for the desert to bring them up to company strength.  Looks like I'm back on to the Ready2roll resin vehicles I bought at Vapnartak this year, although some WW1 German infantry have sneaked on to the painting table.  For the WW1 Germans, I'm thinking of painting these in a uniform suitable for Palestine for late war troops of the German Asia Corps or possibly for German-equipped Turkish troops of the Yildirim Army Group.

Thanks for looking.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, you have to stop sometime with the DAK, but how about Southern Med with a mix of tropical and standard field grey. I'm waiting for the Strelets Ottoman Infantry and Ottoman Assault Troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Will. Yes, that would make an interesting mix of figures. I shall give it a go and test out some figures. I was wondering when Strelets might release their new Ottoman figures, the Gallipoli sets sound useful as well.

      Thanks, Andy

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks, glad you like them.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete