Translate

Thursday 24 February 2022

6mm Soviet megalomania

In a strange twist of fate, I found myself, like a certain presidential figure yesterday afternoon, reviewing my former Soviet equipment.  This for me was ahead of a game in a week or so of Battlegroup Northag using some modified stats for US Army and Marine Corps taking on Soviet VDV and a Motor Rifle Division.  The need for some BMD-1s meant I was looking through various boxes of vehicles and figures.  Unlike my real world counterpart, I put them all back in their boxes and went off to cook some dinner.

The results - all my Soviet kit is aimed at generating forces for the 1980's Cold War, specifically around 1985, although a lot of older kit and some newer kit inevitably have crept in.

BTR-50s, mainly, for Soviet engineers and doubling up as Polish Topaz apcs for their marines, until I pick up enough of the new H&R models. 


Various Soviet and NATO air assets.


BMP-1s and infantry, plus some MRLs.


T-62s and T-80s (at least I think they are T-80s), plus some bridging vehicles.


T-64s, BTR-50s and some VDV or Polish marine special forces.


BTR-60s and Tunguska AAD vehicles.


T-64s, mostly.


T-62s and various command options.


Various engineers vehicles and some assorted radar vehicles.


Infantry and more ?T-64s.


BMD-1s and ASU-85s plus assorted artillery and apcs.

Now, when I've plucked up the courage, I shall have a look through the unpainted lead pile of shame, which I know contains a lot of Soviet kit, plus more Brits, West Germans and US equipment.  Then, of course, there's the new pile of 3d printed kit, which has again come to a temporary halt while I overcome the next challenge of resin curing on the LCD screen, although output up to last weekend has tripled the amount of unpainted resin I have waiting for attention.  I have made a start on painting some of the prints while I explore methods to get the resin off the screen.

As ever, thanks for looking.

10 comments:

  1. What no French in the lead pile! Wonderful seeing your collection on view. Look forward to seeing more added.
    Cheers, Richard P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr P. I think I was Frenchied out with the Division Daguet. Might add some LeClercs at some point. Have found an stl file for the AMX-30 in 15mm, so now looking for VABs and AMX-10Ps.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  2. Very nice, we also started 6mm Cold War project! Your example is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, good luck with your collection. This was a few years ago, but I found ebay to be a great source for 1/300 scale vehicles.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks. If you are interested, there are pics of my cold war Brits, Turks and French elsewhere on the blog. I've also posted up the USMC, but yet to do US Army and West Germans.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  4. Quite the collection. Just starting the era, good to see all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Good luck with your collection. You do need a lot of Soviet armour in most games.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  5. "Unlike my real world counterpart, I put them all back in their boxes and went off to cook some dinner."
    Good one, Andy ;)

    What a fantastic collection, looking great, I've always admired the mighty battles you "Cold War Commanders" put on.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack, some more big games coming up at the Partizan and Joy of 6 shows and a big game weekend in October. Think it will be an outing for my French in October.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete